1. Introductions and Information Packet Review – Motion made, seconded, unanimously approved to accept Information Packet
2. Discussion – what Orientation materials are available for new Panel members? Krista showed on website Orientation materials
3. Panel Discussion – If Master Syllabus has all information required, it is sufficient to approve the course. Some courses have a master syllabus, some don’t. Common wording is problematic. But we can take all documents as a global submission if all necessary information is there.
4. Panel Discussion – Oral Communication is part of Language Arts. Malinda is working with panels, asking for volunteers to work through this for Common Core with workshops happening all over Illinois. Please let Speech people at your institution know about this. Some aren’t sending people – only writing. Typically Speech is part of English – with no oral training.
5. Panel Discussion – New Web System
a. One Syllabus still wouldn’t come up – Abhilasha corrected problem.
b. Suggestion – start voting process earlier. Only a week or so wasn’t enough time. – Krista stated that current Policies and Procedures Manual mandates the time to open courses for voting. Solution – postpone meeting, especially for 5-year course review.
c. The new system went faster – access to documents right there, then go straight to voting.
d. Krista – was the email with instructions for voting helpful? Yes.
e. Suggestion – make file names (syllabi, etc.) Institution-specific. Krista – isn’t easy for us to do. The Institution needs to do that.
f. Suggestion – insert page numbers in documents.
6. Syllabi Review:
**Note – the last 4 course votes will be conducted via email by Julie and Lamata
7. Julie’s term as co-chair is ended. Motion made and seconded, unanimous choice for new co-chair is John Miller
8. General Education Communication Course Requirements:
A continuation of our discussion about the face-to-face requirement for the C2 900 communication course. Please review the materials Krista sent to Panel members in an email dated Oct. 12, 2010 with the subject line Meeting Items. If you do not still have this email, let us know, and we will forward the email to you.
a. Krista proposed carrying this item to the April 15th, 3:00 pm phone conference.
b. Next meeting will be determined at the above mentioned phone conference.
**Note: Minutes may not be complete and may be revised at any time.