IAI Major Course Description - CRJ912 : Introduction to Criminology
(3 semester credits)
An introduction to the multi-disciplinary study and analysis of the nature, causes, and control of crime; measurement of crime; and the interactive roles of the system, victim, and offender.
At the conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Explain each of the major areas of criminological theory including biological, sociological, psychological, and economic.
2. Explain the various methods by which crime data are gathered and interpreted.
3. Explain the influence of social and economic conditions upon delinquent and criminal behavior.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the influence of the criminal justice system on crime, individuals, groups, and society.
5. Describe the relationship among criminal justice agencies, victims, and offenders in response to crime.